Monday, October 18, 2010

The Big Move

I would love feed back from this post, even if you stumbled upon it and don't even know me or anything about me.

Come June my lease will be up and I have defiantly decided I am too old and too OCD for a roommate anymore. Jeff and I will be together 3 years in June. Yes we talk about the future and marriage and kids but we are not ready for marriage quite yet. We both would like to be more stable in our own lives before we get married. We spend all of our free time together and no each pothers habits good and bad. My question of the day is what is your opinion about living together before marriage? I'll give you a little bit of my opinion plus my moms...they are VERY different.

Me- To me it just makes sense to move in with someone before you marry them. Goodness you learn so much about a person when yo live with them. I mean how many friendships have been ruined from living together. Also were not thinking about moving in together so we cans hack it up every night. My mom's generation everyone got married young so they could make babies so to speak. Flash forward 35 years and times have changed. Money is a huge factor too for me. instead of spending $800 a month on rent plus paying all utilities alone I'd be around 1grand a month, split 2 ways though would save $500 a month. That's a lot, and Jeff and i's argument for not getting married int he next year is that we both want to have some more money saved up. My parent generation is so different then mine and we do butt heads on certain issues and opinions. I will however never make this move with out their blessing. Their opinion and and how they think of me matters the most and if they say come closer to June they would be heartbroken then $1000 a month it'll be.

My mom- Just plain out thinks you shouldn't be living together till marriage. I know my dad doesn't like the idea but I have a feeling when he hears some of my reasons for it he might be easier to persuade then mom. Dad likes to act like the tough one sometimes, but he's really not. I honestly think they might think Jeff will move in with me and not like me anymore haha. Anyway she's open to the idea for discussion but she's not for it at all right now. She's claiming if we were engaged it would be OK, but we're not mom. And she adds all these studies about people who get divorced because they lived together first. I find those to be full of it. Unless you are interviewing the WHOLE population it's not an accurate number.

Anyway there is my question of the week so let me know what you think. I really would love some outside opinions on either side.

Thank blogworld

No comments:

Post a Comment